Our pets are important members of our family. Their unconditional love and devotion are treasures of endless comfort and joy.
When you lose your pet to circumstances beyond your control, such as having to move and not being able to take your pet with you, your loss is just as sad and powerful as if your pet had passed while still in your care.
Whether your pet has a disease, or is suffering the physical disabilities of old age, we at Ashland Animal Hospital will work with you to do everything possible to prolong and assist in preserving their quality of life.
The time may come when nature takes its course regardless of the treatment provided, and we will counsel you on what we feel is best for your animal. The decision of helping them pass over to Pet Heaven is never easy.
When you are struggling to make that difficult decision, consider their quality of life. When they can no longer do the things they love, or when they are having more bad days than good days it may be time to consider humane euthanasia.
Sometimes our pets suffer in silence, holding on while their people work through other difficult life circumstances. Take the time to sit and be still with your pet. Look in their eyes and listen with your heart. Our pets will often tell us when they are ready.
Although it is unbearably painful to say goodbye, doing so in a caring, supportive environment makes their passing easier for your pet and your family. Knowing that you and your veterinary team did everything possible to sustain a high quality of life, and in the end were able to let them leave in peace and comfort, is the best gift you can give to your beloved friend.
Pet Loss Hotline
Tufts Pet Loss Hotline Phone Support: 508-839-7966. Hotline Hours: 6 pm – 9 pm EST, Monday through Friday (24-hour voicemail, calls returned on next shift).
Pet Loss Support Websites
- Cornell University Pet Loss Support
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB) — Pet bereavement counselors, virtual condolence cards, counselors-at-law for pet-related matters, In Memoriam list, bereavement for service dogs, local meetings, and more.
- Pet Loss Support — The Rainbow Bridge story; Monday Pet Loss Candle Ceremony; message board, chat room; add pet's name to list for tributes; poetry and music in memory of pets.
- Tufts Pet Loss Support
- The Animal Love & Loss Network
- Rainbow Bridge Grief Support Center — One-on-one online grief counseling, memorials, Monday Night Candle Ceremony.
- In Memory of Pets — Submit a tribute, candlelight ceremony, share your pet's family story, photo gallery.
- Lightning Strike Pet Loss Support — The name comes from the hope that the page will provide lightning-fast help for the griever.
- House Rabbit Society Pet Loss Support and Grief
Books on Pet Loss and Grieving
- APLB's List of Books on Pet Loss & Grieving
- Dog Heaven, by Cynthia Rylant
- Cat Heaven, by Cynthia Rylant
- Paw Prints in the Stars: A Farewell and Journal for a Beloved Pet, by Warren Hanson
Poetry on Pet Loss and Grieving
- The Power of the Dog, by Rudyard Kipling